Wednesday, June 18, 2014

DBD....but not really, it was more of a dive bomb moment!:a few months back there was Ben, tall, handsome, hilarious! (he worked for Grand Theft Auto Asia, but was a comedian on the side). We had drinks (gingerale), then saw improv (it was awful! ...and he introduced me to his friends as, "Tinder" not Monica), then had dinner, then had tea @ Starbucks (he redeemed himself). It was a solid glorious 7 hrs. I was hooked. At the improv show, a friend of his asked if he would be doing stand-up that Tuesday @ a local bar...he was. Naturally, I mentally banked the bar name, went home after the date, googled it, bought "Stand-up @ Bar22" tickets for me and my wing man Michael (my bff here in Singapore), invited Michael, and went to bed. Next morning Ben texts and says, "Let's do brunch on Wednesday". This should be good, I can watch him, then bring up how funny his set was during brunch. Awesome :) I'd work out the stalker kinks. Comedy Tuesday came and I was really excited! When I say excited I mean a bit nervous, this isn't my style. I facebook stalk, google stalk, I never in person stalk! Michael and I found the bar, I took a deep breath, opened the door, walked in...... and there was no one in there!, except the bar tender and Ben! I died!  They sold tickets online, online ticket sales means a lot of people right? Like so many people Ben would never see me and my stalking could be done in secret! Back to the story, we walk into the bar, I look right @ Ben, Ben doesn't see me so i just turned right around and walked out. We are going home! Now the anxiety kicks in, and Michael is just eating this up! He's only ever seen me in work mode, so this, this is real funny for him. I'm hot, rambling, confused! Just a mess. After a walk around the block, a pep talk from Michael, and a coke, we went back in. Ben was in the back, there were now 5 guests, I figured with the stage lights in his eyes he would never know I was there. I was safe. Homeostasis was returning. We sat at a side table, the waiter comes over, takes our drink order, and just then,

Owner: "Hey is Monica here? ......MONICA? .......MONICA?"

....aaaah....

Me: "Yep, here" I sheepishly say waving my hand.

Out pops Ben, "Did you say Monica?"  in his charming British accent...he's British FYI

Owner: "Ya, she is the only one who bought tickets online"

Ben to me: "Hello there, isn't this odd"

and then followed my horror. Homeostasis shot to hell. My rambling explanation begins "I was just going to show up watch you and go....I googled you....um Michael isn't my date, he's gay not that that matters....I was going to tell you tomorrow.....I bought tickets before I knew about brunch.....oh gosh I am so sorry Ben this is really awful". And Ben and Michael are just watching as I combust. Lapping it up, cracking up! The shows happens, Ben cleverly reworks his set, and it starts like this:

"Hello everyone I am BJ Fox, have you all heard of Tinder? Well tinder is a shallow dating app, and you see that girl over there...Hi Monica....that's Monica and she and I both swiped right so we were a match and we had dinner the other night, and are having brunch tomorrow, and Monica decided to google me and show up here tonight......."

and on and on and on. Michael was in stitches, Ben knew he was hilarious, the 5 people who didn't buy their tickets online, loved it! And I, I was crimson, horrified, anxious, couldn't breath, almost fell off my stool, it was not my best hour of mortality. That's what I get for trying to be sneaky cute. I should just stick with in your face and slightly loud, that I can handle.

*we did have brunch the next day.we did have a few brunches after that. we did text lots....and then he fell for an actress :( but it makes for a good story.

No comments:

Post a Comment