Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Hibiscus & Pollen: Let's talk for a moment about Monday here. Saturday was good, Sunday was good, today...I began to fall in love. The trains aligned and I got to my stop much earlier than anticipated.  I of course was starving so I stopped by the 7- eleven of all places and grabbed  juice and a little cheese bun thing. To people here, the bun thing was probably super ghetto, but to new eyes it was a delicacy. I munched as I strolled through some little underground walkway. 2 elevators and an escalator later I was at ground level. The doors opened and I felt like I was walking off a spaceship... The silent hum of the elevator cogs were shattered by a chorus of birds. Yesterday I had gone to the left and come up by a hotel lobby, today I took a right and ended up walking through the gardens by the bay. Sadly I can't add pictures because I forgot my camera adapter, just google Gardens by the Bay Singapore and you will see.  Work was a bustle all day. As I mentioned the kitchen is a bit compact compared to what I am used . Today there were chefs visiting from Hibiscus in London. I was assigned to them, and by glorious coincidence they were French so that was fun. I made:  asparagus and white chocolate cremeux, coconut whey sorbet, and dehydrated black olive dust. Not the dessert I would put next to my unicorn and rainbow in my dreams, but it was surprisingly good. Service started and this chef in jeans showed up, also French.  I was his little gopher grabbing plates and setting up, didn't thing much of it. It was fun, a little French, a little English, a little dessert for Andres, a little dessert for this guy, Merrill Lynch Asia had bought out the restaurant because they were merging soon and this was a bit of a thank you, and it was a bit of a "big deal" because 2 Chefs were collaborating for the first time. Pollen and Hibiscus, Jason Atherton and Claude Bosi. Yep turns out mr. Frenchy in jeans is a Michelin 2 star chef....that's a big deal. Super glad I was using the familiar form of French when was addressing him versus the formal, not. 140 desserts plated in 10 min: 70 butternut, chocolate, coconut, and 70 black olive, asparagus white chocolate, goat cheese. Funny how that is all it takes to feel alive, a plane ticket to Singapore, 2 days prepping for 1 wild 10 minute stretch of plating, followed by catching the last train home and falling into bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment