Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Leg2 Crunchy and Caffeinated:I am calling Leg 2 this because I have had more caffeine and chips today than I thought possible. They were the only things that sounded good during our 14 hr. second leg in the diesel death trap. I wish I could take a picture right now of my face, but for fear of my phone cracking I will not! We started out bright and early today @ 6:30. We decided to stop in Laramie, WY for the evening so as Leg 3 would be a simple 8 hours. Bad mistake. 60 miles out of Laramie the roads turned to sheets of ice. Our dry, peaceful drive, cruising at 80 mph, quickly became a snowy, icy, stressful drive, cruising at 25 mph. 18 wheelers sped around us causing colorful profanity combinations to flow freely {don't judge you weren't there!}, and without fail almost everyone that passed us would start to slide and in kind, slow down.  I don't think I have ever prayed so hard and driven so carefully in my little 3 decades of life. And the highlight, I had to pee and there were still 26 slow icy miles ahead and no rest areas. So what did I do? Yep just pulled to the shoulder, dropped my drawers, and let her rip right there on the drivers side in plain sight, because it was too cold to run to the bushes, and to tell you the truth I wasn't sure I would make it :). But the good news is, we made it to Laramie without wetting ourselves, granted we were 2 hours later than expected due to a weather snafoo, but we got there none the less. I got into the hotel, and it happened, all systems shut down, the chills, the teeth chattering, and crazy shakes! Not sure if it was coming down off of that much caffeine or that much stress. Don't really care, because all Teresa and I can do, is laugh about it all. This is one for the ages. 

No comments:

Post a Comment