Tuesday, December 18, 2012



Leg 3 Diesel Death Trap: Thank you continental breakfast for being so lovely after a a long hot shower and a wonderful night's sleep. Back into the jetta, Teresa and I went. Have you ever tried to shove an alley cat {yep I just said alley cat and now I feel like I am about 73} into a shoe box and shut the lid? well if not just picture it, that was how we felt getting back into the jetta. We were wanting to claw and scratch some eyes out! Luckily the roads were plowed, the ice had melted, and we were cruising at 80.  We were cruising @ 80 mph, until up ahead we saw a semi-truck fishtail then jackknife off the road. Almost simultaneously every car between it and us started to slide, fishtail, 360, jackknife...as we too slid with little or no control everything seemed in slow motion. I remember looking over at the car next to me, which was sliding towards me, and the driving looking at me and mouthing, "sorry!" as a preemptive response to what she was expecting to be a collision.  I remember screaming-which if you know me, doesn't happen-, wanting to slam on the breaks and turn the wheel really fast just to miss the chaos. But somehow I managed to keep a little control of the car. Slight wheel movements and a pump or two from the breaks and we were safe on the shoulder, our eyes now glued to the rear-vie, watching the same horror happen behind us and praying someone wouldn't collide into us. The next 3 hours were like driving through an eery graveyard. Cars overturned, semi-trucks that had rolled and their contents confettied the medians and roads, we stopped counting @ 27 wrecked semis and 24 cars. We didn't talk much through WY, I am not even sure I breathed. Both hands were glued to the steering wheel.  Poor Teresa had come out for a run roadtrip and was met with this! All she could do was stare at the GPS just to ensure we were in deed making progress. Good news, we made it home unscathed. Do I want to get back into my car and go to work tomorrow morning.....no! Do I want to drive through WY in the winter for fun....no! Do I feel like I was the only one who got us home safe.....NO! Was praying for gratitude for our safety the first thing I did when I got.....YES! {well actually no, I went to the bathroom first, but it was the second  :) } So I am glad to be home safe, I have no idea what Utah has in store for me but I am excited to find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment