Sunday, June 17, 2012

Unknown:While in Amsterdam I was so curious about these tulips you always hear about. I arrived after the official tulip season so I didn't see the fields popping with vibrant color, or get to bring any home for my own garden {oh wait I live in a basement apt. in DC....I don't have a garden}, but I did get a few moments in the flower market. Now why that story? well it has little to do with my thought but I thought of it while in that market. Each flower had a label. On the label it described: when to plant the flower, where to plant the flower, how much light it needed, how much water it needed. It told you how tall the plant would be, when it would flower, what color the flower would be, and how to preserve the plant for the next season. How I wish people both friend people and relationship material people came with labels. It would make this a whole lot less painful. I read those labels and I trusted everything they said. It is different and difficult with people, to be vulnerable enough to trust everything, to trust what they say. I can tell you that I don't have a temper, I am very loyal, I am honest, I am shy, I don't need a lot of time but I do need your full attention with the time I do get time, I am confident, I am independent, I am happy, I am driven........but do you really believe me? Are you sure you aren't listening to the advice of others or your own fear just a little bit, the fear that tells you in a month or 2 or 10 I'll go crazy, shut off, stop caring but be really needy? Wouldn't it just be easier if we had labels that said all those same things, so that way we knew? We could just pick and choose our friends and relationships with guaranteed satisfaction. No surprises, just results if we did as the instructions said. No trust necessary. Oh this silly life we lead, it requires so much faith, so much hope, so much trust in people which seem too often be the great unknown.

No comments:

Post a Comment