Sunday, May 27, 2012

Day 2: last night Brugge was quiet, I almost wondered if everyone was on holiday. I had forgotten how the mosquitos can get during the summer until about 3am when 4 lusting ladies reminded me. I killed them and went back to bed. 10am wake up not bad considering the jet lag I should have. I thought I might just check and see if there was a church close and wouldn't you know it 2 blocks away church started at 11:20. It was the 3rd floor of an office building and upon entering it was just as i was expecting, warm...rarely do you have a/c in Europe, welcoming, and I was instantly targeting and asked if I played the organ...moments later I was playing and singing in Dutch (because that made me feel less foreign) the chorister squeezed next to me to translate and although 2 of us on that bench made for a sauna like experiences, I was grateful for her help. lucky for me on the 4th Sunday they always eat after church so I not only got to butcher Dutch hymns, I got lunch. Then off to the museums of Brugge. They have transformed the main cathedrals into museums and for 15€ you get to see all 10+ as much as you. And like I did. Pictures will come. So as I mentioned last night was quiet, today was a mad house. It is Pentecost tomorrow so everyone is on holiday and today Brugge was a bustle of bike horns, a cornucopia of languages, and it seemed as though everyone had a: waffle, ice cream cone, chocolate of sort, or in most cases all 3. I sat in a courtyard overlooking the canal system sweat dripping down my back with my croissant -first of the trip- and yogurt -tu m'avais manqué- and in that moment I thought, " how the crap did I do this as a missionary " I know why the church asks us to go at 19/21 because if they wait even 8 years no one would go. No way I would have the courage to come up to a stranger and tell them about God. And seeing as I didn't have to, I sat and ate my little treat reminiscing of braver days thanking the heavens I was in a sundress just above the knee not below with flipflops sans nylons. I love not having an itinerary I just walk and turn and I have no idea where I am, have been, or are going, and it is simply divine. While structure is a bit of a driving force in my life, it's absence these next few days is welcomed.

No comments:

Post a Comment