Saturday, May 26, 2012

By the seat of my pants: so this morning I was on a plane to Amsterdam, fabulous. Except for one little thing.....once I landed I had no idea what I would be doing. Man does't touch down till Monday afternoon so I have until then to fly solo. So armed with no plan and plane hair I headed off to the train station....Brugge sounds good...bought a ticket.....got off in Antwerp instead. 167 photos, 1 cathedral filled with Ruebens (paintings not sandwiches), 3 Ruebenless cathedrals, plenty of smelly sewers that brought back such great memories, a canal, and no clue where I was sleeping and I had seen the best of Antwerp . Back on the train....yes there was jet lag induced drool...and a short 1.5 hrs later I was in Brugge. I meandered throughout the streets till I found a cheap little hotel and then off to my room I went. #6 is nautical themed! How fitting. The view from my second story window is roof after tiled roof. I can see into other windows, they can see into mine, and as I opened this looking glass a lady from across the alley yelled some Dutch quip I didn't understand so I yelled back in French and voila communication established. The toilet is down the hall and the shower is in the basement and you cant control the temp. You simply push the button every 15 seconds and are grateful for whatever the temp may be. Needless to say this really does make my stay in Brugge more charming. In the USA this wouldn't fly but here it almost seems a prerequisite to ensure wonder. Well I am off to find a pastry for dinner then sleep in my little bed with cigar butts in the nightstand drawer.

1 comment: