Sunday, November 17, 2013

From Hero to Zero quite quickly in China: I enjoyed China. My last day I was alone in Beijing. My last lasting memory was a bit lousy: I waiting in line for a bus, to take me to the subway, to take me to the airport. A local was trying to lure tourist to experience his mode of transport, a rickety motorized tricycle.  In Beijing, traffic signals, stop signs, sides of the road, all meaningless. Red light ? Oh turn left and veer through oncoming traffic. Traffic? Pass it on the left crossing what should be a double yellow line, and weasel back in after the congestion has stopped. Accident? don't merge left to allow more space, get closer on the right and barely miss, there is half a lane you can freely use.  Okay back to the story....rant over. The motorist met my gaze, and said, " $3?" Bus is $2, the queue was long and I was tired, so against my better judgement I boarded his death wagon, seconds later I was adoring my decision. These things are awesome, unobstructed views, breeze, no sweaty person next to you...it was awesome. See:
(yes he is on his cell while driving me in his death wagon)
We pulled up just shy of the metro, I pulled out my $3, he pulled out a hand written card, "$50". Um, no way! Long story short, we fought over the price, he pushed me behind a bus, I got slapped in the face, I lunged forward to decapitate him, he coward, grabbed the $3 and I ran off and hid behind a trash can until he puttered away. And that was my last memory of China.

No comments:

Post a Comment