Monday, November 18, 2013

Deck the August: There is a chill in the air, holiday music is beginning to fill the radio stations, scarves are wrapped tightly on neck, mittens on hands, snow flutters, spontaneously wondering if it should come full force or just dance in the air................rewind.............that's all crap! I am in Singapore. It's a constant 80 degrees. I measure the temp like this: manageable or sauna. It is always hot and always humid, my face sweats, and it feels nothing like Thanksgiving, or Christmas. They try to make it look like it:

Strands of lights under bridges, trees shaped like evergreens. It's a good solid try, and for them this is "holiday" decor. For me, in my head, it feels like August, a month with nothing really going on. I think for as long as I am in Singapore, it will be August. That being said, I will be making gingerbread houses, and trees of macarons.....but my senses are confused. Timing says it's the holidays, but I find myself longing for that smell of pine, that goosebump chill as you leave your home, the essential need for a warm cider by a crackling fire with fuzzy socks and a blanket. I will have to knock to sense into my senses, or else it's going to be a long August. 

No comments:

Post a Comment