Tuesday, September 11, 2012

I was in Dublin, Ireland at the Chanel counter at the mall; I was picking out my favorite Chanel lip gloss that they had discontinued in the states. The clerk said she was so sorry and when I asked why, she directed me to the 3rd floor. I went up to find myself in a sea of people glued to the televisions and together we watched as the second tower fell. I had been in New York just 48 hours earlier. They say when tragedy happens your endorphin levels are heightened causing you to remember more detail than you would on any other day. I remember the weather, my clothes, my hair, the tension in that room, the tsunami of frantic that came over me as reality sunk in. All flights were grounded and I remained there for almost 2 weeks. Two weeks later I returned to New York, the dust hadn't settled, the city still in shock, the site blocked by debris and police. Today 11 years later, the memory is still close, hearts still hurt, and I still get chills as I hear the stories and think of the ones that I was connected to that were affected. Today the whole city of Washington, DC is remembering how their lives changed 11 years ago. Today people all over the world are considering the same thing and many are offering silent prayers to their various gods for the blessing it is to be alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment