Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Skewed:When I was 18 I had my wisdom teeth out in response to an add I heard on the radio, it was free if I took their experimental drugs....I didn't tell anyone. When I was 21 I turned in my mission papers....without telling anyone. I broke an arm, got stitches, had surgeries, and I didn't tell anyone. At first I thought, "look at me I am so independent" however, as time goes on I am beginning to realize my definition of "independent" was/is skewed. I am indepenent that much is true, but I am also realizing and rather enjoying the crucial importance of people and more so letting people into your life. Being vulnerable, letting people share with you in your successes and flops. Letting people see the pretty as well as the real. Needing people without being needy, understanding that helping is noble, but asking for help is just as important. Distancing yourself to save face in times of ruin is not always the brave or independent decision. And, quite often relationships even suffer when one finds out the other kept them in the dark. How different I think things would be if I had let people in just a little bit more, if I had asked and told and included and not tried to go so far alone. How I do love my life but I wonder. Nothing in life is meant to be alone. Trees grow in great forrests, birds travel in marvelous flocks, even fungus, algae and bacteria find themselves surrounded by like kind. How silly for me to think I can avoid what even the simplest species thrive on.

No comments:

Post a Comment