Saturday, June 2, 2012

Day 7: tulip market again still no certificates. To calm my sorrows I tested more gouda. I felt better. J headed to catch a flight back to the states and Man and I boarded a train for Koeln (Cologne) and 2 transfers and 3.5 hours later we were in Germany. The landscape had drastically changed from flat canal covered country to rolling hills dotted with evergreens. We pulled into the gare ....at which point man asked,"why do you keep saying gare, what does that mean?!" I suppose I had said that quite a bit, it means train station. And I was quickly chastened that in Germany it is an hauptbahnhof. Chastening accepted but no guarantees were made, (gare continued to slip throughout our stay). We hauled the bags across the station and bummed some wifi off of the Starbucks. Man was looking antsy so I cut the wifi short and said we could go, I figured he had to pee or something. I was so wrong! Directly outside the station stands the 2nd largest cathedral in the world, Man was antsy to show me one of Germany's greatest treasures. Laughter quickly ensued, my mouth hung open, I wondered whether checking gmail moments earlier was really necessary, all as I attempting to take in the enormity and gothic splendor that towered above me. It was difficult to pull away but the promise of German wurst made it easy. We dropped our stuff at the hotel, cleaned up, and headed to a bruhaus for some real food. One bite of asparagus soup and I couldn't believe I was saying it but I was....I was thrilled we chose Germany over Paris this time. A fresh bratwurst with pommes and salat and I was easily in food euphoria. We finished the evening with ice-cream and a stroll through Koeln.

No comments:

Post a Comment