Monday, June 18, 2012

Awe:I am always amazed at the capacity we have to be great. My weekend was a quick trip to the market, packing for my upcoming trip to Utah, church, and then Sunday night I attended a funeral for a friend. I just sat and listened, I laughed and held back tears. I knew him but not as well as some. Now the capacity to be great I mentioned above was not mine but my friend's, my weekend was easy compared to Andy's. Wednesday Andy was rocked more than most by the news because, the man who had died was his best friend. The moment he heard the news he dropped everything and headed to his friend's home to comfort his family. Over the next 72 hours he made the funeral plans, wrote the obituary, consoled a distraught mother, celebrated his own 29th birthday, gave a best man's speech at another friend's wedding, and was the first speaker at the funeral. We spoke briefly as he made the 6 hour drive from wedding venue to funeral home. He himself could not begin to process everything that had just happened. The wrestle between loss and love and emotion and strength I am sure was one of, if not the, most difficult to date for him. A few hours later I sat and listened to him deliver his speech, celebrating the life of a friend snuffed too soon, he was calm and collected. He made us laugh for 15 minutes straight and remained miraculously strong. I was in awe at his greatness; the ability he had to make sense of it all. What a weekend for my dear friend. I can call, and I can pray, I can offer advice and sympathize till my phone dies, but grief and pain and life and death are those roads where we feel every step and remember every vivid detail and while there are other travelers, we must process it ourselves. Today, I sat in awe as my dear friend made sense of the chaos that had fallen on his road.

No comments:

Post a Comment