Monday, January 2, 2012

New Year's Eve: every since I can remember we have had a cereal tradition in my family. Growing up with 4 siblings was a riot, and it was expensive. My parents worked hard and didn't come from trust funds or win the lotto so things like bagged cereal and powered milk were "normal". Boxed cereal was a luxury, one that we knew would come without fail every 31st of December. My mother would take the 5 of us to the grocery store on or just before New Year's Eve, and let each of us pick our own box of cereal! Boxed! With milk from a gallon! We would then eat it as much of it as we wanted while watching our favorite, "Some Like it Hot" just before we banged on pots and pans to ring in the New Year. For the past few years this tradition has slipped through the cracks but, happily this year I had assistance in once again finding the nostalgia in eating as much Trix as I wanted on New Year's Eve. Some Like it Hot and the pots and pans will come next year I am sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment