Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Let's talk about the areas in Singapore I visited today:

Chinatown: characterized by Hello Kitty everything, everywhere, stand after stand after stand of jade bracelets, racks of silk robes, firework stands-which I wanted to buy but I fear they'd be confiscated, sorry trash can man-, noodle huts, and calligraphy booths. Chinese lanterns lit the streets, and the faint sent of incense from the near by temple filled the air. Emerald necklaces downstairs, and upstairs, if you chose the "right" place you could get a massage, in the words of one masseus who approached me, " I will make you fall in love with Singapore" I politely declined and tried not to laugh, I don't want to fall in love with any country like that!

Little India: characterized by used CD booths, cell phones in the front, henna in the back. The area smelled delightful, flower strands hung everywhere, I am sure they have a significance but it was 11p and I didn't really care. I figure it was to mask the curry smell that seemed to ooze out of every third person's skin. No  lanterns, just blaring neon signs, whose glimmer was only surpassed by the gaudy gold stores. More gold than I have ever seen, and in the most rundown, gross, display cases. No message places, but after about 20 minutes I realized a lot of men were looking at me, maybe it was because I was the only girl out? Maybe it was because it was so hot out, that earlier, I ditched my pants and was wearing my tunic as a dress, a short dress. Either way it was not my dream come true, the fact that the guy at the qwiki mart, who sold me my water and lychee gummies, gave me the gummies for free because he wanted to "give me a gift", that was alright ;)

So nut shell: don't get a massage in Chinatown unless....unless nothing just don't. And don't wear a shirt as a dress in Little India. You're welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment