Saturday, July 14, 2012

The Switch: While out with a brief acquaintance from high school on Thursday, they were a little surprised that I was open and nice, I was often mistook for being mean or icy because I was so shy {it was my survival mode things are better now}. While talking with my sister a few days ago I was shocked when she asked why I was so short and quick with everyone. I had thought I was doing a wonderful job and had really come into my own and in all reality I am liking the personality and communication progress and that I have made over the years. Further dissection allowed us to identify that I am not short at all but merely assertive because my audience for the past little/long while has been littles. I am with Zoe {3} from 8-6 Mon-Fri and her Sisters, Roxanne and Isabelle {both 6} from 3:15-6 Mon-Fri. Those 3 darlings breeze in and out so fast I know that I have but a moment to address their queries, answer their question, resolve the conflicts, or ask something of them. I have become great at speaking toddler. I do it so much that I have to flip the figurative switch when talking with adults. My life in DC is cakes, Costco, target, uniforms, 3 little lunches, dry cleaning, pig-tails, and fairies....I don't interact all that much with big people.....I am master at checking off all that was on my list before my head hits 800 thread count over down. This has caused a certain assertive quick addition to my already quick personality. This has caused, as back in high school, a new misunderstanding I hadn't expected but am thrilled to have it in the light. I am not the only offender.....we all have our own "business mode". Teachers, Doctors, Lawyers, Financial Consultants, Accountants, Students, Business owners, Mothers.....every profession has it's own lingo, it's own way of accurate concise communication and when one is taken from their business and put somewhere else, sometimes the "business mode" follows. It is not a bad thing, it is not wrong, but I am seeing how easily my M.O. was misinterpreted as harsh and quick when in all reality I just hadn't switched off the business mode and morphed into sister/fun/shopping/lunch/laughter till chocolate milk shoots out my nose, mode. We are so complicated, we are all so different, and within each of us there are so many intricate details that if we patiently, quietly just listen to each other and try to get where the other party is coming from, ah life would be dream. But this isn't that bad....I just have to flip my switched faster when I leave work.

No comments:

Post a Comment