Thursday, May 31, 2012

Day 5:Man and J had the spine conference today and while I do so love their company, and wish I could take all my trips with the two of them....a day alone again wasn't all bad. At a hefty pace I meandered through the streets much smarter now about the bikes and the roads....mind you when I say much smarter I still looked like a fool with 2 guide books but I felt smarter....so I headed up: the Amsterdam Museum, the Bijbels Museum, the Houseboat Museum, museum Geelvinck Hinlopen Huis, Museum Ons'Lieve Herr op Solder, Museum Van Loon, Museum Willet-Holthuysen, Niewe Kerk, Oude Kerk, Amsterdam Archives, the Museum of Bags and Purses, and the Foam. most of the museums were houses along the canals restored to original decade but my favorite by far was the Ons'Lieve Herr op Solder. This was the creation of a wealthy linen trader who bought 3 houses along the canal, connected them all and hid a beautiful catholic church in the middle attics of the 3. House in front, church inside. This was due to the fact that Catholics were no longer allowed to worship, Protestant churches were making a breakthrough. More on this latter with pictures. The tram system 2 days ago was a mess of number and clanking tracks but today it began to make sense and I hoped on and off with much less hesitation than the days prior. Friends have said they should have been born at the time of Pride and Prejudice, or in Japan, or French, or Rich, or or or you get the picture. Well after a long weekend in this area I have decided I should have been born Dutch. Preferably in the time when there was a coach house and a main house separated by a lavish garden and Ruben would come and do the family portrait. Yes I think that would suit me rather nicely. Wooden shoes and windmills. There is the issue of plagues and fires and the canal stinking, but I think the fountain in the garden could help me forget all of that. Pancakes round #2 came and while it was good it lacked the authenticity and laughter inducing taste sensation of our first discovery. Evening was upon us so we found a bar that had chairs right above the canal and we sat for hours watching boats and sipping spa orange, all while dusk set in and the canal bridges illuminated the city. With such sublime conditions, sleep became completely unnecessary. We strolled through the streets taking pictures getting lost .....I should interject here that this is why I like traveling with Man and J, I would never feel safe alone at 1am but with these two hooligans things are just great....and completely adoring our void of responsibility

No comments:

Post a Comment