Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Paul: hate the name...I think of it being sandwiched between Peter and Mary. I think of it wearing a stripped knit shirt with mustard colored pants and black framed glasses while playing baseball with the kids from The Sandlot. I think of it winning a science fair because it made a rocket out of old railroad ties it lathed in an abandoned warehouse, the year is 1968. You get my thought process??? Well I now think of all that and this when I hear that name...
1. pain aux raisins: [B] good texture, overall great flavor, a bit too much apricot gel on the top but it sure did make that sucker glisten, and I would have like a bit more cream.

2. almond croissant: [A-] it was just as they usually are in France, flat and flavorful. This usually bugs Americans because we want almondy and puffy flakey and that just doesn't happen because an almond croissant it baked then sliced, filled, dipped, and baked again..how can it remain puffy flakey after all that? It can't! That is why in it's perfect way it is flat flakey. There wasn't a disc of marzapan in the center like we are used to, instead it was a true almond cream. voila et merci Paul.

3. canele:[A] this little guy resembles a mini bundt cake and leaves many questioning its purpose on a pastry shelf, "what is that" and the answer is, bliss. Caramelized outside with a baked custard inside that is dense and unparalleled in texture and taste. I will order this every time because so far Paul makes it the best this side of Bordeaux.

1 comment:

  1. Chez Paul had my favorite hot chocolate in France. Wishing I could be there to eat those treats with you! I love u!

    ReplyDelete